Tuesday, September 6, 2016

9 Things You Won't Take For Granted After Traveling


I've said a million times, I'm so thankful for all I'm learning on the Why I Farm Roadtrip. But it's worth saying one more time. As I near the four month mark, I can already see how I've grown personally and professionally. This experience has taught me to be a more grateful person. Here are a few things I won't be taking for granted anymore.

1. Opening the refrigerator and finding food.
Any time I want to eat, I have to go somewhere. Craving milk? Off to the store. Time for supper? McDonalds or Wendy's? Take your pick. The reality is, even that is way easier than most people in this world have it. The fact that I can't mindlessly walk to the fridge has made me stop and be thankful each time I fill my belly.

2. Standing in front of your closet trying to decide what to wear.
Every girl has stood in their underwear staring at their overflowing closet complaining, "I don't have anything to wear." In a way, it's fun to try on a million outfits and leave the rejects littered all over your bedroom floor. But when you live out of a suitcase for months at a time, you realize that's a luxury. These days my hardest choices getting dressed are rubber boots or leather? And do these jeans still smell clean?

3. Spending rainy days lounging inside.
I miss rainy, lazy Saturdays. On the road trip, it's not an option to cuddle up with tea and watch movies on dreary days. I'm living my dream, so I'm not complaining, but there is no time for laziness with this gig. There hasn't been a single day since May 15th I haven't made phone calls, sent emails, visited farmers, been interviewed, sorted photos, scheduled social media, blogged, or transcribed audio. Even if I could just sit around doing nothing, I'd still have to go out to get food, drive to my next interview, or get gas. Road tripping is rain or shine.

4. Knowing what you're doing tomorrow.
Most days I have a decent idea of what I'm doing the next day, but there are so many extra variables living on the road. Everything can change in an instant. I've learned to be flexible. It's a lesson I really needed to learn, but I miss knowing I'm going to class at 8 AM, work at noon, and have meetings at 5 PM and 7 PM. A typical day depends on at least five other people's schedules working flawlessly, zero traffic, no wrong turns, and perfect weather. You can imagine, that works out about 2% of the time.

5. Clean public restrooms.
Nasty restrooms are the biggest bummer of road tripping. There's nothing worse than pulling off your route, running into the bathroom to find pee on the seat, TP on the floor, and a hairball in the sink. On the flip side, I want to give every where with sparkling bathrooms a five star review. When this adventure is over, I'm excited to get back to my bathroom and do my business in clean, private, peace.

6. A hot shower.
I've learned you can get clean, hot showers at truck stops, but that's not always convenient. There's something about coming in the house, kicking off your boots, stripping off your sweaty clothes and hoping in the shower when ever you want (in your own bathroom, then standing in front of your closet debating what to wear). Most of the time, I'm smelling myself as I drive 30 minutes plus for a shower. Freshening up between visits means caking on more deodorant, soaking myself in Febreeze, and changing to dry socks if I'm lucky.

7. Your own bed.
I'm in a different city every single day. It's so fun to see so much of the country, but nothing is consistent. I feel like Goldilocks sometimes. One night my bed is a little soft, sometimes the pillow is too flat, the sheets are scratchy, it's chilly. Getting comfortable, and getting much needed rest is a process every night. When I get back to my bed with two pillows, fluffy blankets and a fan, I'm going to sleep like a rock for a week.

8. Running into people you know.
Growing up in a small town, sometimes I thought it was annoying I couldn't go anywhere without running into someone I knew. You couldn't go to the bank or post office "real quick" because somebody would stop to chat. Now, there are days I would give anything to run into a friendly face. I still catch myself waving at familiar cars or scanning crowds for somebody to say hello.

9. Going places without directions or a GPS.
Thank goodness for technology. Without it, I'd never find my next interview, places to shower, or eat. That being said, there are some days I would like to go get gas without my phone and that bossy voice reminding me to take a left in 500 feet. Before traveling, I never thought about now nice it is to know how to get where you're going.

I have so much to be thankful for. I'm so glad traveling has opened my eyes to the littlest blessing I used to take for granted. Hopefully this post challenges you to consider what you take for granted. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment