Wednesday, April 6, 2016

18 Tidbits of Wisdom from AgChat National Collegiate Congress



I've blogged about my feelings for the AgChat conferences and community before, but after my experience at AgChat National Collegiate Congress, it deserves a post all to itself.

For those of you who haven't had the chance to participate, #AgChat is a weekly Twitter discussion every Tuesday night from 7-9 p.m. CT. Over the last two years, it's opened a lot of doors for me to grow personally and professionally.

Recenly, I had the opportunity to attend my second AgChat conference and serve on the NAMA social media corps. I was really impressed with the event. It gave me an opportunity to network with peers from other schools as well as professionals with varying fields of expertise. Learning with such a diverse group made for a very rich experience. The students panels offered great insight and were unlike anything I'd ever participated in. I came back with several pages of quotes. Here are a few of my favorites:


"Words live forever"

"Dead air time is okay. Stop and think, especially when you're angry."

"There is room for everyone at the table. It's going to take all of us."

Katie Glick - Time Management Tips & Tricks Breakout

"Keep trying. Be diligent."

"You can do it all, just not all at the same time."

"Review the guest list before attending a professional event."

Jade Halliburton - Student Panel

"People don't really care what you do. They want to hear why you do it."

"You have to make ag relevant to people that don't think ag is relevant to them."

Travis Haney - ESPN

"There's always going to be a hunger for good stories."

"Don't overlook the people you meet."

"Set as many lunch dates as you can."

"Read as much as you can."

"Write as much as you can."

"A good story is a good story."

"Don't miss the journey."

Jenny Schweigert - Executive Director of AgChat

"Viral posts and high reaching numbers are great. They are not everything."

"One-on-one conversations have great value."

"You don't need to be everything to everyone."

Huge thank you to all the wise speakers that shared their tips and advice with all the young professionals in attendance. I learned so much and can't wait to keep up with everyone I met each week on #AgChat. Watch this video to see how you can join the conversation.



No comments:

Post a Comment